Armed robbery suspect arrested during standoff at Motel 6

Joshua Davenport

The search for suspects wanted in connection with an armed robbery in Vacaville led to a lengthy standoff that began shortly after 10:30 a.m. and stretched well into Thursday evening at Gilroy’s Motel 6.
The primary suspect, 34-year-old Joshua Davenport of Suisun City in Solano County, was arrested without incident during the process, along with a female companion. Police describe the young woman as a Pacific Islander in her mid-20s who was also in possession of drugs.
Davenport was wanted on charges of an armed, take-over style robbery that occurred Jan. 7 at a U-Haul business in Vacaville.
A witness at the scene said three suspects entered the business, each armed with a dark-colored handgun, and forced employees into one area of the store and held them at gunpoint, according to a press release from the Vacaville Police Department. The suspects then fled the store with an undisclosed amount of cash. Police described Davenport as having a “long and violent criminal history and is considered armed and dangerous.”
The third suspect, for whom authorities spent hours combing every nook and cranny of the motel, is still outstanding. He is described as a 25-year-old Hispanic male, measuring 6 feet tall and weighing 200 pounds with a short cropped haircut. Vacaville police have not released his identity.
“He was initially seen by officers, but was eventually able to elude capture,” said GPD Sgt. Joseph Deras in a press release.
The two male suspects and the female companion who was also arrested were in the company of four children: Two 14-year-olds, and a 2- and 1-year-old, who were released to a grandparent, Deras said.
Deras said the GPD was notified Thursday morning by Vacaville authorities that the suspects were in Gilroy.
A spokesman from the Vacaville police department said he wasn’t sure how Vacaville authorities were alerted to the fact that the suspects were in Gilroy.
Gilroy police began searching the area – local motels being some of their first stops – and spotted two of the suspects walking outside in the parking lot area between the Hilton Garden Inn and Motel 6 (both are located on Monterey Road not far from the U.S. 101 on-ramp).
The ensuing effort to flush out the second male suspect, believed by authorities to be holed up somewhere inside the Motel, turned into a multi-agency waiting game involving the GPD; two U.S. Marshals; agents from the California Department of Justice; authorities from Vacaville; the Gilroy/Morgan Hill Regional Swat Team; deputies from the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Department; and one remotely operated robot.
“As the nature of this crime was a serious and violent felony and the suspects were armed, a complete search of a nearby motel was conducted by members of the Gilroy-Morgan Hill regional SWAT team,” wrote Deras in a press release sent late Thursday evening. “This included an evacuation of the motel of any guests and employees. Once the area was determined to be safe, all parties were permitted to return to their respective rooms.”
It was a long day for all involved, including Motel guests, staff, tenants and the neighboring Sandy’s Cafe, which found itself in the center of the hubbub after a mobile communications command unit from the California Office of Emergency Services set up directly outside the restaurant.
Sticking it out for almost the entire day was Gilroyan Larry Valenti, who currently lives at Motel 6 and spent many hours waiting patiently and observing the scene, trying to speculate when everything might wrap up.
“I just wanna go back in there,” said the 56-year-old, who was concerned about his Yorkshire terrier, alone inside Valenti’s room.
Another resident, who is staying at the Motel temporarily while he looks to buy a home in Hollister, took all the drama in stride.
“It doesn’t surprise me,” said the man named Brad, who declined to give his last name. “I see cops here all the time.”
Around 3:23 p.m., the SWAT team, armed and outfitted in protective gear complete with what appeared to be a large shield, filed into the building and didn’t reappear for a long time.
The male suspect who was taken into custody could be seen being handcuffed at 4:45 p.m.
Police finished searching at around 7:15 p.m. and cleared the scene at 7:40 p.m.
Anyone with additional information is urged to contact the Anti-Crime Team at (408) 846-0350. For any media inquiries please call (408) 846-0347.

Leave your comments