SBHS officials break ground on $15.6m project before approval

School officials and others held a groundbreaking Wednesday.

San Benito High School officials used golden shovels to break ground on a new facility this week, but it came before trustees approve a contract with a construction company to build it.
Trustees are set to review a $15.6 million contract for a career technical education building at a special meeting at 4 p.m. Thursday. The groundbreaking, which presumed trustees would approve a contract with Blach Construction, occurred Wednesday.
“It’s just the way it worked,” said Superintendent John Perales to the Free Lance.
The timing of events changed after a contract with the construction company came in higher than budgeted, the superintendent explained. The district had budgeted about $14.5 million for the project, but the contract was for about $17.2 million, he said. The district worked with architects and the construction company to value engineer items and bring the cost down, Perales explained.
The groundbreaking had already been scheduled and officials chose not to change the date, the superintendent said. The project will be funded completely by Measure G, the $42.5 million general obligation facilities bond approved by voters in June 2014.
The contract is for a lease-leaseback agreement between the school district and Blach Construction. The company will deliver the building for a guaranteed maximum price of $15,558,469, according to the document. The new facility will be used by the school’s Future Farmers of America, woodshop, metal and auto programs.
Perales did not expect trustees to reject the contract at the special board meeting, he told the Free Lance. The trustees have been “very, very positive” about the building, he said. At least four of the trustees participated in the groundbreaking. Trustee Bill Tiffany was not present.
Trustees will review the contract with Blach Construction at 4 p.m. in the library located at 1220 Monterey St., in Hollister.

Leave your comments