The Hollister Police Department issued an evacuation order Wednesday for a major gas leak on Santa Ana Road.
The order, issued at 12:56 p.m., called for an immediate evacuation within 2,000 yards of the 200 block of Santa Ana Road.
According to Public Information Officer Don Pershall, a resident was working on his home when something dropped onto the gas meter. The gas meter completely broke off, but PG&E was able to shut off the gas leak. Around 100 people were evacuated. Most of the residents in the area were at work.
The evacuation order was lifted at 1:39 p.m. and residents returned to the area.
The announcements were made on both social media and Nixle. The Veterans Memorial Building was made available for evacuees during the event.