good times local news media events catalyst santa cruz california metro silicon valley news local events san jose weekly pajaronian watsonville local newspaper, news events pajaro valley california gilroy dispatch local news events garlic festival santa cruz media events local california weekly king city rustler newspaper media local events car sales buy new car media
58.1 F
English English Spanish Spanish
June 14, 2021

Keep the voter rolls current

The San Benito County Elections Department is conducting an Alternate Residency Confirmation Process (ARCOP) postcard mailing, per Elections Code Section 2224 in order to reduce election cost and maintain the most current active voter file for the upcoming June 5, 2017 Primary Election. This mailing was dropped at the post office on December 1, 2017; the postcard will be sent to 6,210 voters who have not voted in the last four years and have not changed their name, address, or party preference.

How does the ARCOP affect the Voter’s registration status?

The Voter’s record is changed from active to inactive; no other changes are made to the voter’s status. However, election cost is reduced due to the fact that an inactive voter does not receive Sample Ballots/Voter Information Pamphlets or Vote by Mail Ballots.

Are Inactive Voters eligible to vote?

Yes, voters inactivated due to the ARCOP are eligible to vote in elections, they are not deleted or cancelled, unless they remain inactive for four years. Inactive ARCOP voters will be listed in the Inactive Roster Index at the polling place for their last known address. If the voter signs the Inactive Roster and votes they will be reactivated after the election. ARCOP voters, who have moved within the county and want to vote on Election Day, are Fail Safe Voters. Fail Safe Voters must vote a provisional ballot at the polling place for their new address. The record will be reactivated and updated with the new address after the election.

What does an ARCOP postcard ask the voter?

The postcard is a two-part confirmation card that can be forwarded by the post office to the voter and asks the voter to select one of the following:

  • The residence address is correct.
  • The residence address is wrong
  • I have moved out of the County / Cancel my registration.
  • Voter Unknown / Does not live here / Deceased

Voters can then update or correct residential or mailing addresses on the same card.

All returned postcards are processed as requested by the voter’s selection and if the voter DOES NOT return a postcard they stay on the Inactive Voter File for four years. After an additional four years of inactivity the voter is canceled.

For more information visit or call (831) 636-4016.

Please leave a comment


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here