If you have ever considered running for local office, now is your chance.
Monday Feb. 12 kicked off the nomination period for the June 5, 2018 Statewide Primary Election. The nomination period ends on Friday, March 9, a date that can be extended to Wednesday, March 14 for contests where the eligible incumbent doesn’t file.
Local contests up for reelection at the June 2018 Primary include:
- California State Senator District 12 (incumbent Anthony Cannella)
- California Assembly Member District 30 (incumbent Anna Caballero)
- San Benito County Supervisor District 3 (incumbent Robert Rivas)
- San Benito County Supervisor District 4 (incumbent Jerry Muenzer)
- San Benito County Assessor (incumbent Tom J. Slavich)
- San Benito County Clerk/Auditor/Recorder (incumbent Joe Paul Gonzalez)
- District Attorney (incumbent Candice Hooper Mancino)
- Sheriff/Coroner (incumbent Darren Thompson)
- Treasurer/Tax Collector/Public Administrator (incumbent Mary Lou Andrade)
- San Benito County Superintendent of Schools (incumbent Krystal Lomanto)
Regional residents will also vote for California’s 20th District Congressional seat, currently held by one-term Democrat Jimmy Panetta.
While the county races are set to take place in June, city races will take place in November.
Seats currently held by Hollister Mayor Ignacio Velazquez, District 2 Councilwoman and Vice Mayor Mickie Luna, District 3 Councilman Karson Klauer, District 4 Councilman Jim Gillio, and Treasurer Geri Johnson are expected on the November ballot.
Klauer previously stated he won’t run in 2018, while Gillio is set to challenge Supervisor Muenzer for his District 4 seat on the San Benito County Board of Supervisors.
Seats currently held by San Juan Bautista Mayor Jim West, Councilman Chris Martorana, and Councilman Tony Boch are up for election this year, and all three have stated in the past that they don’t intend to run.
Numerous races for local water, health, and school districts will also take place in November.
- County Board of Education District 3
- County Board of Education District 4
- Gavilan Joint Community College District Trustee Area 5
- Gavilan Joint Community College District Trustee Area 7
- Aromas-San Juan School District (two seats)
- San Benito High School District (three seats)
- Bitterwater-Tully School District (three seats)
- Cienega Union School District (three seats)
- Hollister School District (three seats)
- Jefferson School District (three seats)
- North County Joint School District (two seats)
- Panoche School District (two seats)
- Southside School District (four seats)
- Tres Pinos School District (three seats)
- Willow Grove School District (three seats)
Water and Health Districts
- Aromas Water District (three seats)
- San Benito County Water District 1
- San Benito County Water District 4
- Sunnyslope County Water District (three seats)
- Tres Pinos Water District (two seats)
- San Benito County Health Care District 2
- San Benito County Health Care District 4
Candidates are encouraged to make an appointment and begin the nomination filing process as early as possible to ensure all paperwork is completed and submitted on time.
If you are interested in running for local office, contact the San Benito County Registrar of Voters at (831) 636-4016, email [email protected] or on Twitter at @sbcvote.