76.1 F
Hollister
July 26, 2024

Nearly 300 classics featured in downtown show

The Hollister Downtown Association hosted the 36th annual Street Festival and Car Show on July 15, registering 276 vehicles and bringing crowds of excited car enthusiasts to San Benito Street.  “This year we remember and honor our beloved North Stage Entertainment Manager, Dennis Osorio, who...

Cyclist killed by falling tree branch in Gilroy

A bicyclist was killed July 18 when a tree branch fell on her in Gilroy, the California Highway Patrol said.  The 65-year-old woman was traveling southbound on Roop Road north of Leavesley Road at an unknown speed when a large tree branch broke off and...

Learn how to compost on July 29

San Benito Integrated Waste Management (SBCIWM) will host two upcoming free composting workshops where attendees can learn how to turn food scraps and yard waste into nutrient rich soil. The Composting 101 Workshop is scheduled for 9:30am July 29; and a Sheet Mulching Technique and...

Letter: Denial is deadly

Re: Opinion Page Cartoon, Free Lance, July 14 The Joe Heller cartoon on my favorite Free Lance page concerning a complex issue enlightened and entertained me. In one cartoon, it contained a whole strip explaining an issue difficult to understand. Beginning with: “It’s the hottest...

HHS, Gavilan partner for dual enrollment program

San Benito High School District and Gavilan College have entered into a three-year partnership agreement that allows Hollister High School students to complete college credits at no cost while enrolled in high school, says a press release from San Benito High School District.  The College...

South Bay, Central Coast under excessive heat warning for coming weekend

The interior Bay Area and Central Coast are under an excessive heat warning from Saturday morning to Sunday night, according to the National Weather Service. Highs of up to 110 degrees are expected in inland areas including Santa Rosa, Concord, Livermore and Gilroy. Coastal regions...

Hollister district embraces co-teaching classrooms

The Hollister School District has made significant strides with inclusiveness in special education and recently received recognition for those efforts.  The district was awarded this past year from the Supporting Inclusive Practices (SIP) organization with the Bridgett Ealy Heart of Inclusion award. The organization noted...

How will Robert Rivas lead the California Assembly?

The key to understanding new Assembly Speaker Robert Rivas’ leadership might be his severe childhood stutter. Growing up, he often had his ears open more than his mouth. Now, Rivas said Wednesday in an interview hosted by the Sacramento Press Club, his greatest strength is...

Letter: Hospital board has full confidence in CEO

Over the last few weeks, a small but vocal group in our community has continued to call into question the performance and legitimacy of the District’s interim CEO, Mary Casillas. Let me assure you that the San Benito Health Care District Board fully supports...

Guest view: Fine hike for illegal dumping is a long time coming

The San Benito County Board of Supervisors at the latest meeting initiated efforts to significantly strengthen the county’s illegal dumping ordinance to deter those activities.  Supervisor Dom Zanger and I had requested this formal consideration, and I have been pushing for more action with regard...

SOCIAL MEDIA

5,035FansLike
292FollowersFollow
1,077FollowersFollow